You are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. (1 Peter 2:9-10)
This post is adapted and expanded from Rachel Wojo (www.rachelwojo.com) for use in pastoral counseling and prison ministry.
We know the feeling. Times we were pretty sure the negative comments and laughter were about us. We hoped they loved and liked us, but they proved not to. We feel degraded, disrespected, knocked down, and beat up. Sometimes an event from years ago still replays in our mind saying: “Not waaannnttted.” We feel undesirable, unworthy, unaccepted, unattractive, unlovable, uncared for. Imperfect, inadequate, ignored, weak, loser, failure, disappointment, disowned. A nobody.
These are Satan’s lies about Christ’s followers. Thankfully, God’s word in Scripture declares that we are loved, desired, chased after, and brought home by the most High God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). We are eternally accepted, adopted, and made worthy forever through Jesus’ life, death, resurrection, and ongoing ministry from His throne. We need to counter Satan’s lies with God’s true words.
Rachel gave a list of Bible passages she uses when she doesn’t feel “good enough.” Perhaps you or someone you know could use these too. I’ve added more Scriptures. May this will help you to create your own list. I number items to help discussion.
1. Romans 8:1-2 There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because…the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.
2. Psalm 138:8 The LORD will fulfill His purpose for me. Your love, O LORD, endures forever. Do not abandon the works of your hands.
3. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
4. Ephesians 1:4-6 God chose us in Jesus before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in His sight. In love He predestined us to be adopted as His sons and daughters through Jesus Christ, in accordance with His pleasure and will to the praise of His glorious grace, which He has freely given us in the One He loves.
5. Romans 8:14-18 Those who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. For you are not a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption. And by Him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs, heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in His sufferings in order that we may also share in His glory. I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.
6. Philippians 1:6 I am confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
7. Ephesians 2:4-10 Because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions. It is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with Him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages He might show the incomparable riches of His grace, expressed in His kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
8. Isaiah 43:25 I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more.
9. Isaiah 43:1-4 This is what the LORD says, He who created and formed you: Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One, your Savior….You are precious and honored in my sight, because I love you….
10. Deuteronomy 33:27 The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath you are His everlasting arms. He will drive out your enemy before you….
11. Jeremiah 31:3 I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness.
12. Nahum 1:7 The Lord is good, a Strength and Stronghold in the day of trouble; He knows (recognizes, has knowledge of, understands, and loves) those who take refuge and trust in Him.
13. Zephaniah 3:17 The LORD your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.
14. 1 John 3:16, 4:10 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down His life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters….This is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.
15. Hosea 14:4 I will heal their waywardness and love them freely, for my anger has turned away from them.
16. Isaiah 49:15-16 Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands.
You Are Loved Song
Here’s a song from Kairos Prison Ministry:
You are loved, you are beautiful. You’re a gift of God, His own creation.
You’re a gift to everyone, His gift of love to ALL.
You are loved. God danced the day you were born.
Lord, help us to ignore the devil’s lies about us not being good enough. Help us to believe that you have given us precious honor, value, and worth in Christ. Give us confidence that we are who You say we are and step out in faith to serve You and bless others. Each of us is only one person and we cannot do everything, but we can do something that honors you. Give us wisdom, strength, and love to what we can do to serve you and other people. We pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.